Ad Source: Direct
Location: Encinitas, California
Asking Price: $20,000 (Final Sale Price)
- Model Year: 1968
- Odometer: 9,519
- Engine: Buick Dauntless 350 Small Block
- Transmission: Automatic
- Seller Type: Private Owner
- Contact: SOLD!
- Phone: SOLD!
- Email: SOLD!
More Details & Pictures
Original to California, this 1968 Jeep Wagoneer with original “black plate” license plate was purchased in July of 2012 as a family project vehicle. It was used sparingly on weekends for family camping trips and beach trips. It runs phenomenally and is a pleasure to drive, receiving multiple compliments anytime it is out on the road. It has a clean and clear California title, which is current and in my possession.
The Wagoneer drives straight and true, easily cruising at 65 MPH. The temperature remains at 190 degrees or cooler even on warmer days during the San Diego summer. When not in use, it is kept in a fully enclosed garage under cover and attached to a trickle charger.
When unused for more than a few weeks, usually during the winter months, it will sweat some oil, though just a couple of drops below the pan. It does not smoke or backfire,rather starts, idles and runs phenomenally. It truly is a pleasure to drive!
It received a mechanical restoration in 2014 at SDS in Lakeside California, with a total cost of $26,298, including $12,120 in labor. The following is an incomplete list of significant modifications, repairs and enhancements:
- Buick Dauntless 350 small block total rebuild
- +.040 bore with 9.2/1 compression
- TA Performance custom ground cam
- TA Performance pistons
- TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum intake manifold
- TA Performance non-adjustable pushrods
- MSD Atomic Fuel Injection Kit(made all the difference in the world!!!)
- TA Performance oil pump, booster and regulator kit
- Replace all rod, main and cam bearings
- Port and polish original steel heads
- Dyno tune
- Custom built 4 core radiator
- Customer build fan shroud
- This is a torque monster!
Transmission and Transfer Case
- TH400 and transfer case disassembly and full rebuild
- Sandblast transfer case and shifter tower
- New torque converter
- Bushing kit
- Thrust washer
- Bearing and seal kit
- New fluids
- Front disc brake conversion kit
- Knuckles rebuilt
- Rear drum brake rebuild
- New hoses
- Replace axle seals and gaskets
- Addition of auxiliary 18 gallon gas tank
- Flush and clean main 22 gallon gas tank (40 gallons in total)
- Two new fuel pumps
- Tank diverter allows for fueling both tanks at same time and switching between tanks when in use
- New fuel lines and hoses
- Custom fuel tank skid plate protecting auxiliary tank
- Sandblast and powder-coat original steel wheels
- Pro-Comp 33×12.5 R15 tires
- Necessary adjustments and spacers to clear disc brakes and calipers
- Custom 4-point roll cage powder-coated and installed (protects rear passengers and stiffens chassis)
- Repair electrical wiring ensuring appropriate grounding
- Replace battery cables and ensure gauges operate effectively
- Rebuild steering column wiring (known electrical problem area)
- The air conditioning and heating was rebuilt. While its not ice-box cold, it is very comfortable during the San Diego summers
All receipts from the restoration and subsequent preventative maintenance repairs are included with the Wagoneer. Spare filters, fluids and misc. parts will be included with the vehicle as well as all repair manuals and photos from the build. This FSJ has been well cared for.
The following is a complete list (to the best of my knowledge) of known issues with the vehicle
- Mileage is unknown. I have put approximately 2,500 miles post rebuild. Prior to the rebuild, there was approximately 1,000 put on the Wagoneer
- It received a respray in its original Prairie Gold prior to my ownership. This is not a quality paint job, rather something that just did the job. It was okay for me as I was not concerns where I parked the car nor was I concerned with brush and branches too close to the FSJ
- The interior Rawhide fabric seat show wear on them and should be replaced eventually. Again, not a concern as this was a camping/beach wagon for the kids and dog
- The carpeting has definitely seen better days and should be replaced eventually
- The door panels have been removed as they were falling apart at time of my purchase
- There is rust on the body,especially in some of the obvious places. This includes the rear fenders by the tires, a few spots below the foot-wells and surface rust on the frame and undercarriage
- The chrome is both fading and patina-ed.
- The parking break is not operational. I have not sourced this issue at present time due to a busy work schedule
- The speedometer was not re-calibrated for the re-gearing and/or the increase in tire diameter
- The weather stripping on the doors is terrible, thus I did not drive it during rainstorms or super cold evenings
Again, while these issues exist, it is a super fun wagon to drive and will not fail you in time of need. She does, however, drink a lot, though considerably less due to the fuel injection.
I will accept PayPal, wire, cashiers check or personal check, through any payment must be received and verified by my bank (Wells Fargo) before the buyer takes possession. The buyer is responsible for shipping and, or course, I will work with the buyer on scheduling this. Due the mandatory quarantine in California and being a practicing anesthesiologist, I prefer to not show this vehicle in person as I cannot risk exposure. The reserve takes this into consideration as buying this vehicle without driving it runs some risk for the buyer. Lastly, I will post driving videos of the Wagoneer shortly.
Last Updated on April 26, 2020 by Wagoneer For Sale